GEO Spacecraft Operations Engineer
The job has expired.
Full details on application.
Relocation assistance provided (if applicable).
Fixed-term contract with a duration until 31st December 2018, but for the right candidate further opportunities are not excluded.
Serco is a specialist at delivering vital services on behalf of European, National and Local Governments.
Serco Europe employ’s a large workforce in Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Switzerland, Germany, Holland, Spain, Italy and the UK.
Our European operations have ca. 2,000 employees delivering critical services to public institutions throughout Europe.
The candidate will be integrated in the MSG Spacecraft Operations Team. His/her tasks in the area of the spacecraft routine operations and operations preparation will typically include:
- Familiarisation with the MSG satellite design and existing operations procedures as necessary;
- Support the conduct of routine operations of the in-orbit MSG spacecraft;
- Provision of Satellite Operations Engineer (SOE) on-call service;
- Performance evaluation and trend analysis to monitor the in-flight behaviour of the spacecraft payload, including support to yearly and specific operations reviews for payloads and platform (e.g. eclipses, manoeuvres, decontamination, etc. );
- Contribute to the maintenance of:
- Automated and Manual procedures;
- Operations database;
- Special operation instructions;
- Other operational documentation (e.g. SOE Guide, Contingency Ops Guide, etc. ) for the preparation and execution of System Validation Test(s), commissioning and on-orbit satellite operations;
- Support for the maintenance of the MSG Flight Operation Manual;
- Satellite simulator maintenance support and provision of the necessary input to the simulator maintenance team;
- Support to the satellite monitoring and control facility maintenance team to ensure that the facility, including the telemetry analysis tools, is always fit for its purpose;
- Participate to the activities related to the MSG Routine Operations Support provided by the MSG satellites manufacturer and as appropriate by the GERB Instrument operational authority;
- Analysis and investigation of operational events and anomalies particularly relating to the operations of the MSG Spacecraft platform and payload and associated ground segment elements;
- Preparation and production of routine reports as necessary;
- Participation in the preparation and specification of system updates;
- Preparation of technical notes and attendance at technical meetings and reviews;
- Preparation & presentation of Flight Ops Team training material wrt S/C Operations;
- Contribution to the MTG system operations concepts for S/C operations related topics;
- Support, as requested, the specification and reviews of the different operations related elements of the MTG system (including satellites and ground segments);
- Support the MTG operations preparations activities, mainly at Space Segment level but including also Ground Segment aspects;
- Support, as requested, the satellite simulator development / procurement follow-up and maintenance and provide the necessary input to the simulator team;
- Review technical notes and attendance at technical meetings and reviews;
- Participation to the definition and execution of the Operational System Validation activities such as SVTs, rehearsals and the necessary training activities for the various operations personnel prior to system commissioning;
- Contribute to the definition of MTG commissioning activities.
The Ideal Candidate
In addition to having a University degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline, the candidate must show some experience of spacecraft operations at an engineering level.
Furthermore, it would be a distinct advantage for the candidate to have experience with some of the following:
- Geostationary satellite operations in general;
- Routine spacecraft operations in general;
- Operations preparation of a satellite project;
- Operations and/or design of the Mission Communications Payload (MCP).
The candidate shall be able to conduct all activities in an orderly and disciplined manner, shall be able to work calmly and correctly under stress and must be able to work with the minimum of supervision.
The working language for the position is English and therefore the candidate must be able to work effectively in this language.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
For positions located within the Darmstadt Support Office please note that only applicants with no family affiliation within the Company will be considered.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
About The Company
Serco Services GmbH, part of the Serco group, A FTSE250, Multi-national Service Provider with over 60,000 employees worldwide.
Serco’s space heritage over the last 40 years has placed us in the Space News Top 50 Space Industry Manufacturing and Services Companies - We work alongside EUMETSAT and the European Space Agency, where we are the largest on-site service provider with ca. 300 staff.
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service – To keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play here.
Serco provide the right environment to encourage ideas and a comprehensive Best Practice support network that enables them to put their ideas into action.
If you share our values then join with over 60,000 colleagues globally who are equally as passionate about delivering great service as you