Multi-Mission Dissemination Operations Engineer
The job has expired.
Full details on application.
Relocation assistance provided (if applicable).
Serco is a specialist at delivering vital services on behalf of European, National and Local Governments.
Serco Europe employ’s a large workforce in Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Switzerland, Germany, Holland, Spain, Italy and the UK.
Our European operations have ca. 2,000 employees delivering critical services to public institutions throughout Europe.
For our activities in EUMETSAT, we are currently looking for a Multi-Mission Dissemination Operations Engineer.
The tasks of the Key person will be carried out mainly at EUMETSAT facilities in Darmstadt, as required, but travel within Europe may be required for certain activities.
The successful candidate shall provide service in the area of routine monitoring, development and operation of the EUMETSAT dissemination systems. The duties range from the support to the operation of the various dissemination components, to the analysis, implementation and testing of new data streams and monitoring and reporting functions. It also includes the setting-up and implementation of operational procedures, and the coordination with external organisations and service providers.
The ideal candidate will focus his/her activities on the following tasks:
- Provision of service for routine operations of the dissemination and encryption functions within the EUMETSAT Ground Segments, including performance monitoring and in the case of anomalies, the identification and application of first-line corrective actions. This task requires the provision of stand-by and call-out service out of normal working hours (see below);
- Provision of service for the operations of data encryption functions in the ground and space segment of EUMETSA T programs;
- Control, population and operation of dissemination related databases and configuration files for both in-house and remote systems;
- Support to the preparation, validation and maintenance of ground segment operational procedures;
- Provision and support to dissemination services related training of the Control Centre Team;
- Contribution to the analysis and resolution of user enquiries related to dissemination services;
- Support to the validation, verification and roll-out of new releases of dissemination and encryption software;
- Support to the H/W and S/W configuration of EUMETCast Reception Stations;
- Support to the roll-out and validation of new releases of EUMETCast Reception Station S/W packages;
- Investigation into system anomalies that impact on the data dissemination services;
- Generation of Engineering Change Proposals to improve the operational effectiveness of the encryption and dissemination functions;
- Support to design, implementation and verification testing of corrections and improvements;
- Coordination of the operational validation of releases and changes affecting the dissemination system;
- Coordination of the implementation of new data flows;
- Definition and implementation of dissemination service monitoring and reporting tools, and generation of related reports;
- Participation in meetings and reviews.
The Ideal Candidate
In addition to having a University degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline, the key person shall have minimum 5 years’ experience in operations or software maintenance of realtime data dissemination systems, and be familiar with DVB satellite communications and ground segment operations.
The Key person shall have significant work experience on operating system level in major Linux distributions and Windows (Windows 7, 8, 1 0).
For the accomplishment of the listed tasks, knowledge and experience of the following is mandatory:
- Basic System administrator skills:
- Configuration, installation and scripting for Linux and Windows;
- Computer literacy, including:
- Evaluation/analysis of system/application events and logs;
- Tool based presentation oflogs and results (Excel etc).
- Monitoring of near real time data flows in large computer networks;
- Satellite based and terrestrial data distribution systems;
- Provision of near real-time data services in a high-availability environment (24/7);
- First and second level support in data services;
- Interaction with end-users;
- Coordination of system changes and interfaces with external organisations;
- Encryption technologies, USB smart cards, TripleDES;
- Formalised hardware/software/system testing;
- Configuration control.
Furthermore, it would be a distinct advantage for the key person to have experience with the following:
- DVB based receive-only earth stations for satellite communications;
- IP multicast data distribution systems, such as "Tellicast" provided by Newtec;
- Dissemination of meteorological and/or environmental products;
- Formalised software testing;
- XML language and tools;
- Subversion, CVS, eclipse;
- Interaction with operational or research organisations;
- DVB-S2 technology.
The key person shall be able to conduct all activities in an orderly and disciplined manner, shall be able to work calmly and correctly under stress and must be able to work without supervision.
The official languages of EUMETSAT are English and French. The working language for the position is English and therefore the key person must be able to work effectively in this language and have knowledge of the other. Good communication skills are essential for the fulfilment of the tasks requiring interaction.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
For positions located within the Darmstadt Support Office please note that only applicants with no family affiliation within the Company will be considered.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
About The Company
Serco Services GmbH, part of the Serco group, A FTSE250, Multi-national Service Provider with over 50,000 employees worldwide.
Serco’s space heritage over the last 40 years has placed us in the Space News Top 50 Space Industry Manufacturing and Services Companies - We work alongside EUMETSAT and the European Space Agency, where we are the largest on-site service provider with ca. 300 staff.
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service – To keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play here.
Serco provide the right environment to encourage ideas and a comprehensive Best Practice support network that enables them to put their ideas into action.
If you share our values then join with over 50,000 colleagues globally who are equally as passionate about delivering great service as you.